Penang Happenings | St. George Church
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-15682,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-theme-ver-10.1.1,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

St. George Church


The oldest Anglican church in South East Asia, Penang’s St. George’s church also happens to be the largest in Malaysia. The church was built in 1816 by Indian convicts during Colonel J.A. Bannerman’s term as Governor of Penang, with help from the East India Company. The architectural style of the building draws inspiration from Britain and other parts of Europe. The church’s highest point is the octagonal steeple while its portico of Greek columns located at the front entrance remains as its most eminent feature.

Where to find

Address: Farquhar Street, George Town