Penang Happenings | Church Street Pier
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-15929,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-theme-ver-10.1.1,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

Church Street Pier


Church Street Pier

The Church Street Pier was built between 1897 and 1898. During its early days, this quay was perpetually busy and chaotic with sampans, tongkoangs and small boats that load and unload their cargo, all of whichbears evidence of Penang’s status as a thriving harbour and port. In 1924, the Penang Harbour Board took over the operations of the Straits Steamship Co. Ltd. This company acquired Eastern Shipping Co.Ltd, which had earlier bought over QuahBengKee's Guan Lee Hin Steamship Company TheHarbour Board ran a ferry service from this pier to Butterworth, carrying passengers and motor vehicles. Passengers were transported from the Penang Railways jetty to Butterworth while ferry steamships which were used to transport cars boarded from Church Street Pier.

Where to Find?

Jalan Gereja, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia